Get a Quote

Carrot Help Centre

What does Brexit mean for my car insurance if I want to travel outside the UK?

On the 1st Jan 2021 the UK officially left the European Union (EU) and for a short time motorists from the UK were required to carry a Green Card when driving in the EU. From August 2021 however, the rules changed and a Green Card is no longer required.

Am I still covered to drive my car abroad?
Yes. The legal minimum motor insurance cover will continue to be provided under your policy for certain countries in Europe, plus full policy cover for a total of 30 days in a 12-month period. Full details of your cover are explained in your Policy Wording.

What is a Green Card?
A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which acts as proof drivers have the minimum level of compulsory cover required by the laws of the country you are visiting.  As of August 2021 UK motorists are no longer required to carry one when travelling to the EU.

What else do I need to consider when driving my car abroad?
You may need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive to certain places in Europe which can be obtained via your local post office.  You will also be required to take your driving licence, V5C logbook and your insurance certificate.  If your vehicle is leased, you will need to take a VE103 certificate.

For more information about whether you need an IDP and how to obtain one click here.

Please refer to the Government guidelines on the links below for any further information on travelling outside the UK in your car.

Most commonly asked questions

Can't find what you're looking for?

We’re here to help on Web Chat, Facebook & Twitter